Spare Labs, the software-as-a-service startup that’s reimagining mobility, is on the lookout for an exceptional co-op student to help us incorporate nudging and gamification into our products. As a Spare Co-op, you will help improve our offering to customers thanks to innovative applications of behavioural psychology and smart uses of technology and data. Ready to help drive the future of transportation? All aboard the Spare rocket ship! 🚀
About Spare Labs
Spare is on a mission to accelerate the shift towards efficient and autonomous mobility by enabling anyone to plan, launch, scale, and analyze a smart transportation network in seconds. We’re cultivating greener, more transit-friendly cities by deploying the next generation in public transportation: on-demand microtransit. Whether that’s running the leading on-demand transit service in North America, launching the first on-demand service in Japan, or helping seniors travel with ease across Norway, our platform is powering transportation globally.
How you’ll make an impact as a Co-op at Spare 👊
We are working on some exciting projects this year, including deploying ‘Predicted Demand’, a sophisticated trip prediction algorithm, and building an updated version of our Rider app. Your work will feed into this ambitious product roadmap.
-Bridging the Data Science and Sustainability teams, you will be at the forefront of where people, impact and data meet
- You’ll help us incorporate nudging and gamification into our products, based on analysis of our massively rich transit datasets, and your research on best practices
- By pitching smart features and strategies to nudge behaviour, you’ll help make our users aware of the impacts their travel choices have on their community – and the planet
- You’ll regularly communicate your findings to our team, and to the outside world if appropriate. Your voice will be heard, loud and clear!
- Your ideas for new features and product improvements will leave a lasting legacy. Because we know you’ll inspire us, and we anticipate you having a direct impact on what our team works on in the future.
What you’ll do here
- Every fortnight, you’ll be set a ‘sprint’ – a theme of action items that help you work towards the goal of your co-op. You and your mentors will design these sprints together, so you have a say in what you’ll be working on
- Regular weekly meetings with your mentors will ensure you stay on track and deliver above and beyond the usual expectations from an co-op student
- At the start, you’ll research how our competitors (and other industries) use nudging and gamification through: (i) smart UX/UI, and (ii) making users aware of the impact of their choices. This will help us to stay at the cutting edge in this field-
- To understand how nudging/gamification features can fit into Spare’s products, you’ll organize and run short workshops with the Data Science, Sustainability, Product and Engineering teams
- Data is knowledge, and we have plenty of it. You’ll have access to unique, high-resolution datasets of the microtransit services we run across three continents. These include detailed (anonymized) data on rider journeys as well as broader-level system performance metrics. Working closely with the Data Science team, you’ll be responsible for analysing individual and clustered rider behaviour, to pinpoint exactly who, where and when to nudge.
Why this role is perfect for you 👌
- You’re currently enrolled in a Masters programme in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science or Engineering
- You’re currently enrolled in studies and are part of a recognized Canadian Co-op Program
- You’re passionate about behavioural psychology and sustainable mobility, and preferably have experience in nudging techniques and/or gamification
- You have some experience in, or exposure to, UX/UI, and can understand user journeys. A keen eye for design is also appreciated
- You ask questions like, “how can the marketing team use these tools?”, “how will this impact revenue?”, and “why will this excite our customers?”
- You are great at communicating and presenting your work to a general audience that has little or no background in your field
- You want to explore whether working in a startup is right for you – because we’re always looking for great people to join our team, and may have something for you in the future!
What’s it like to work at Spare?
We strive to build a diverse company full of inclusive, fun, hard-working people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. We look for the kind of people who are dedicated to going above and beyond, and will build up the team as a whole by helping each team member achieve their own individual goals.
Spare is for the creative, the personal, the passionate, the uncompromising, and those who want to truly understand the impact transportation has on daily life. We’re still at the beginning of our story, and every team member has a key role in where we are headed.
Data security and intellectual property
At Spare, we understand that a co-op placement isn’t just about the tasks set by your employer. It’s valuable to communicate your findings and experiences in the public sphere, whether that’s for a job interview, blog, or explaining to your granny what you did this summer. While you won’t be able to take any proprietary data away with you at the end of the semester, we’ll encourage you to communicate your findings both internally (to other team members) and externally (via our blog and thought leadership papers). Any code you write or product you develop during your project will remain the property of Spare; discussions about open-sourcing the code will be dealt with as and when necessary.